Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A Mother's Day Surprise

     So last week was complete madness. In addition to finals (which I will talk about later) I decided to surprise my mother for mother's day. It was something I was going back and fourth with for a while, it is a 16 hour drive and I really only could be home for 8 days. The week flew by! 

Sunday- I made it official, I accepted a substitute teaching job during the week and made arrangements to stay with my sister's friend in Greenville, SC. A little unsure about how it was going to all work out but determined to make it happen. 

Monday- I broke down and told my sister. I was really aiming to tell as little people as possible which was a big fail. I ended up emailing around to a few of my mom's friends looking for substitute teaching jobs. 

Wednesday - I told my Dad that I was going to be arriving on Friday afternoon and not to tell my mom. Not telling my mom was a lot harder than it sounds. Several times she called me asking me what I was gonna do in my small town all summer, she offered to take me to Georgetown Cupcakes if I came home and cried on about how much she misses me. I felt so GUILTY! All I wanted to do was tell her to put an end to it. 

Thursday- I left Oxford, MS around 10 am after a couple of goodbyes. Stopped once in Oxford, Alabama for lunch and was stuck in Atlanta traffic before arriving in Greenville, SC around 8:30. My mom called me and I cried because I just wanted to tell her so bad! 

Friday- I left Greenville, SC around 8:30 and after one stop in Henderson, NC plus some traffic I arrived home around 3:30! Nobody was home, I crashed on the couch but not before a phone call from mom. I finally dominated the conversation- telling her how I was having a blast with friends by the pool and had plans for the weekend. Finally around 8:00 my mom comes home. It took her about 30 seconds to fully progress what had happened. I tried to get a video but you couldn't hear anything but my wild laugh. She kept saying "Oh My God I can't believe it." After a beer and some Chinese food we called it a night. 

Sunday- We went to my Grandma's house to celebrate with her and my Aunts. They all laughed, two of them knew on thursday and the rest my mom texted after I surprised her on Friday. All and all it was a good treat to come home. I really set the bar high for next year... any ideas? 


No comments: