Sunday, February 17, 2013

Ice Cream VS Chocolate Milk

     So Lent has began! I decided that giving up eating ice cream at least three nights a week was something I could do. With full intentions to go without ice cream for 40 days, I have began a new obsession- chocolate milk. It is sweet and fulfills my dairy craving. I probably drink 5 glasses a week. At the beginning I didn't see a problem with it but decided to do some research to make sure this was a healthy choice. Mind you ice cream was my guilty pleasure and my incentive for going to the gym or working out three times a weeks. 

Pros to chocolate milk (source) 

1) High Carb and Protein content which is fine if I worked out before but really do not need all of the carbs. Protein is something any 20 something gal always needs 

2) Improves the process of muscle repair and recovery which again is fine if I just worked out but not something I need every day. 

3) Optimizes Insulin, I don't have an insulin problem but it never hurts? 

4) Still contain the 9 essential nutrients that I get from regular milk. The 9 essential nutrients includecalcium, potassium, phosphorous, protein, vitamins A, D and B12, riboflavin and niacin.

Pros to Ice Cream (source)

1) Taste Yummy- I love the texture 

2) Low Glycemic Index- won't spike your sugar levels.

3) Protein- about 10% of you daily intake. 

4) Currently they are working on a new brand of ice cream that will prevent certain cancers, aid in digestion and have good bateria for our stomach




All in all both taste great and satisfy my craving! 

No comments: