Monday, January 28, 2013

Auntie Ann's Pretzel Bites


  
  So we don't have a mall around Oxford so I had a slight withdraw from Auntie Ann's Pretzels. I got on pinterest and found this awesome recipe and gave it a try. I changed part of the recipe as one cinnamon sugar is my favorite and two I am not skilled enough to twist the dough into the correct shape.   My wonderful roommate ate them as soon as the smell made it upstairs. While my boyfriend requested a batch to take into the office. I would say that they were a huge hit! So here is my rendition on Auntie Ann's Pretzels. 


What You Need
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
  • 1 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
  • 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoons powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon butter (melted)
  • 1 1/4 cups + 2 tablespoons warm water
  • 1 cup (approximately) Cinnamon Sugar 

What To Do
 1.  Prepare yeast as instructed on the packet. Usually involving boiling water- check your packet for the exact instructions   

2. Add oil to the yeast and stir.
3. In a separate bowl mix place powdered sugar, butter, flour and salt and mix. Place yeast mixture and water into the dry ingredient bowl and add.
4. Flour a surface and knead the dough for about 10 minutes.
5. Place dough in a covered bowl ( I use plastic wrap) and let it rest for about an hour at 80 degrees. (I used the toaster oven to keep it warm.) Dough should double in size (depending on your type of yeast).
6. Preheat oven at 420
7. Take dough and pull of small bits to ball up. 
8. Prepare a baking soda water bath with 2 cups warm water and 2 tbsp baking soda. (This step is important to help give it the brown color and maintain shape.)
9. Dip each ball into the baking soda bath.
10. Place ball on to parchment paper on top of a baking sheet. If you do not have parchment paper be sure to wipe out and re-grease the pan between each batch. 
11. Bake for about 9 minutes or until ball is light brown.
12. Dip in melted butter and sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top! 

No comments: