Sunday, August 14, 2011

travel talk

     I could tell you many things about my day. Starting with tearing up saying goodbye to my mother in the airport  to coming to Matt's apartment to see Isla who has gotten huge. My day went smoothly, traveling is always stressful although somehow I tend to meet the most interesting people. 
      This time it was an international student from Nigeria, Africa named was Orari. He was so happy to be in America even after two days of air travel with a few more hours left in his journey. The first thing he asked me was about the southern culture. Taken back by the question I soon discovered he was working on his masters degree in public media at Arkansas State University. Never being to America I personally wouldn't choose to stay in Arkansas or in Mississippi for that matter. The climate may be similar but other then that it will be a huge culture shock. I tried to explain it to him and answer his questions. That wasn't what was interesting it was his answers to my questions that really shocked me. He left Africa, his job and his 6 other brother & sisters attend college, an opportunity that is hard to come by. 
       Orari worked in advertising after his undergraduate which he earned in Africa. He didn't speak of his parents but did mention his love for religion. He was interested in how different culture practiced their faiths and had his own religion that he believed in, although knew little about another religion. His education seemed limited as he talked about wanting to learn another language and improving his reading skills.  His main goal is to go back to Africa and show that his schooling led to success. Orari wanted to give back to his community that needs so much, he wanted to show that he wasn't running away and he wasn't a failure. 


Learning about his life made me appreciate mine. Not take the opportunities I get for granted. 
Hearing his story makes me think about mine. 

No comments: