Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Lemoncello

 Fun Fact- My parents lived in Italy for three years! My sister was born in Naples, Italy and is an Italian citizen. 

This summer I set out to make Lemoncello! So far I have made two separate batches. A large batch at home and a small one back at school. 

The recipe calls for 10 lemons peeled, 750 ml of vodka, 3 1/2 cups of water, 2 1/2 cups of sugar... this makes about sevenish cups. 
For the small batch I half'ed the recipe, and for the large batched I did 1 1/2 of the recipe.

You peel the lemons and place the peels in a pitch of the vodka and let it soak for roughly 4 days at room temperate. (I used the lemons for lemonade) 

After four days, dissolve the sugar in the water, while on the stove make sure you are constantly stirring. I found this is a really key step. Now let the sugar water cool while you scoop the lemon peels out of the pitcher. Try to keep as much vodka as possible. Finally combine the sugar water and the lemon vodka. Stir before serving or bottling. 



I chose to bottle the lemoncello and my parents are using it as hostess gifts. I made the labels from a kit I got a the craft store! The bottles came from Home Goods. The bottle'ed lemoncello good for up to 6 months! 





No comments: