Saturday, July 6, 2013

A Different Approach

            Today I had an interview with a family looking for a nanny. All seemed fine until they mentioned she will be attended a Montessori school. They described it to me as giving their 2 year old independence to discover her talents. At two years old I was concerned what her talents are... napping? coloring? They were proud to tell me she will be learning cursive block letters and will not have a teacher but a "guide". The students learn from each other... there is no curriculum, in fact their are only three different levels in the school. In fact they will not have any homework. This "method of the child" approach seems very off for me.   In all of my studies we learn how children need structure so this concept is very foreign to me. This is a very different approach... but does it work?? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to a Montessori school and loved it! I was so much more advanced when I went to go into 2nd grade (switched schools), but I think for children it is a really great method. It's less loosey goosey than it sounds haha!

Katie

Miss JLM said...

That's so awesome! I had never heard of this approach but after some research it seems to be a good alternative to the tradition classroom setting! I am shocked it is not more common.